The four Property Owners’ Associations (Western, Estates, Central and Eastern) announce the start of the process to select residents as candidates for the Village Board of Trustees (BOT) and the Board of Education (BOE).
Under the process, any resident interested in serving as village or school board trustee can participate in a community vote in their section of the village planned for Tuesday, January 16, 2024.
For example, all residents in the Eastern section will be eligible to vote in a community vote that will be held by the Eastern POA and the person chosen by the residents will be the POA candidate in the BOT or BOE general election representing that section. The candidates and voters are not required to be members of any POA.
Please note that you do not have to participate in this process to appear on general election ballots for either the BOT or BOE as you can always run as an “independent” candidate by completing the applicable petitions. Village Trustee Ed Finneran successfully ran as an “independent” candidate earlier this year.
In the 2024 general elections, there will be four BOT positions on the ballot (one trustee from each section of the village) on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 and two BOE positions on the ballot (an Eastern section position and an At-Large position from any section of the village) on Tuesday, May 21, 2024.
The BOT positions are currently held by Michael J. Sullivan in the West, Charles P. Kelly in the Estates, Bruce A. Torino in the Central and Lawrence N. Marciano, Jr. in the East. The BOE position from the East section is held by Joseph Sileo and the At-Large position is held by Tom Pinou.
The timeline for the process is as follows:
- Any resident interested in participating in the POAs’ candidate selection process should send an email of interest to POATrusteeCandidates@gmail.com by Wednesday, December 13, 2023 – either for a village trustee position from any section of the village or for the school board position if you live in the East section or for the At-Large position from any section of the village. Please consider also submitting your resume or a link to your LinkedIn profile. Your email will be forwarded to the appropriate POA based on where you live.
- Town Hall meetings would be held in each section of the village in early January to allow residents to meet the candidates and to ask questions.
- The community vote by section will be held on Tuesday, January 16, 2024 where residents will vote for those residents who submitted their names for consideration.
- The four winners of the POA BOT community vote will appear as candidates on the BOT general election ballot on the Community Agreement line; vote to be held on Tuesday, March 19, 2024. It is expected that other candidates will also be running for the BOT.
- The winners of the POA BOE community vote for the East section and At-Large positions will appear as candidates on the BOE election ballot; vote to be held on Tuesday, May 21, 2024. Other village residents may also appear on the ballot as candidates.
If you have any questions on the candidate selection process, please email us at POATrusteeCandidates@gmail.com